4-6 Apples and/or pears (about 4 cups)
¼ cup Flour
¼ cup Brown Sugar, packed
1 ½ tbsp. Ground Cinnamon or apple pie spice
1/2 pkg. Refrigerated Pie Crust (one sheet)
1 egg white, slightly beaten
1/4 cup Sugar or raw sugar
1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1/4 cup Raisins or dried cranberries (optional)
1) Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Remove pie crust from the refrigerator and allow coming to room temp while you prepare the fruit. Peel, core and cut the fruit into 1' wedges. Put in a large mixing bowl.
3) Add flour, brown sugar, raisins and 1 tsp. cinnamon to the cut fruit; toss to coat.
4) When the pie dough has lost its chill, unroll it on a clean, flat surface. Use a rolling pin, or a washed large bottle, such as a wine bottle or food spray container, to flatten the pie crust and slightly enlarge the size. Carefully lift the crust from the counter by folding it in half, then in half again. This makes a manageable pie shape piece that can be lifted into the medium size sauté pan or small skillet.
5) Put the crust in the pan, allowing the crust to over flow and extend beyond the edges of the skillet. Press slightly into the shape of the pan. Transfer fruit to the pastry-lined pan.
6) Dot the top with butter cut into 6 to 8 small pieces. Fold the pastry over the filling, towards the center of the skillet, only partially covering the fruit.
7) Mix the ¼ cup sugar, ¼ tsp. cinnamon and the nuts and sprinkle on the fruit filling in the open center of the pie.
8) Turn your range on to medium heat. Place the sauté pan or skillet on the heat and time for 5 minutes. During this time, brush the top crust with egg white and sprinkle lightly with sugar. This will give the crust a nice golden color. (Cooking for a short time on the stove top will insure a brown, not soggy, crust on your finished pie)
9) After 5 minutes, place the pie into the oven after making sure the top element has gone off and that the oven is pre-heated. Bake about 40 minutes or until the crust is a golden brown. Remember to use a hot pad when removing the pie from the oven as the black handles will now be very hot! Allow to cool before cutting.
10) NOTE: use a plastic knife to cut your pie. The tip of a sharp metal knife will score your stainless steel pan.